This Comments Policy applies to the following site authors: Robert Lindsay (owner) and Alpha Unit (editor).
First, we may or may not be able to respond to some or any comments, or even emails for that matter, in a timely manner, or at all. We often respond to comments and mails quickly, but that may not always be the case.
Second, we reserve the right to violate all of the rules below, since the rules are for others, not for us.
- Offensive comments by others may result in a ban. Offensive comments and mindset applies even to other sites. If you are coming to our site and acting nice and then going around to other sites and bashing away at us, that’s called backstabbing, and it is not allowed. The Comments section is open to friends and neutrals only, not enemies. Criticism from friendlies and neutrals is accepted.
- One warning rule. After a comment has been deleted, if the poster continues to violate the rules even one more time, the commenter may be banned. Banned means none of your comments will be approved.
- Definition of offensive: Basically anything ad hominem. Calling the authors names. Comments with a snide, rude, or insulting tone may possibly also be banned. If you want to attack the authors, you need to do so with class. Comments must be made in either a friendly, neutral or at least a scientific-objective tone. A persistent unfriendly tone in the comments threads will result in a ban. This is a cause of many bans.
- Personal life off-limits to attacks. All ad hominem nonsense about the authors’ lifestyle, sex life, social life, marital status, looks, age, happiness quotient or any other aspects of our personalities or mental health, employment status or history, life history, income, “success” vs. “failure” level in life, whether or not we are “winners” or “losers”, or anything negative related to our past, etc, is banned. Truth is, hostile comments about anything relating to our entire personal lives are off-limits to this blog .
- Spelling, grammar, blog style or post style (f)lames. (F)lames is right! Spelling, grammar, blog design or post construction flames in comments are ad hominem and may be banned, unless you are very nice about it.
- Rightwing commenters are on thin ice on this blog and can be banned at any time for any or no reason.
This is a progressive and socialist blog, particularly in terms of economics. We have a very strong dislike for rightwing economics and the Republican Party, and we don’t want pro-Republicans or those supporting rightwing economics on the site. No attacking the Democratic Party or politicians from the Right. No Republican Party or Libertarian Party propaganda. Post at your own peril. We may let you stay, but you can also be banned at any time. Advocacy of nonpartisan social conservatism is however allowed without reservation. Most bans are for violation of this rule.
- Support for the dropout lifestyle. I dropped out of society and the world of materialism, money, status and all that crap a very long time ago. Most of my friends are proletarians who live paycheck to paycheck. Many people I know cannot even afford a car, so they walk, ride bikes or take buses. No one I know has any money saved up in a bank account. Most are renting apartments or rooms in homes. You may not attack poor, low income, working class or proletarian people on this site. You may not attack people who are homeless, jobless or without vehicles. This whole line of talk is objectively reactionary and will result in an immediate ban.
- No blog-warring in comment threads. Comment threads are neutral zones for warring bloggers.
- Persistently disruptive comments will be banned. These commenters come to the threads and engage in endless personal feuds with other commenters, contributing nothing of any value. Honestly this is the reason for only a few bans.
- Do not troll the site. Some commenters are nothing but trolls. They only come here to troll the site. If you are coming here just to troll the site and start vicious fights with other commenters or if you are upsetting a lot of commenters who are demanding that you be banned, you may be banned as a troll.
- Ad hoc bans are allowed. Even if you have not violated any of the comments policies above, we reserve the right to ban you simply because we do not like your personality or style. There have not yet been any cases of such bans. It will be difficult for normal, decent people to run afoul of this rule.
- No threatening commenters with physical violence; no threats of any sort. No attempts to violate the civil rights of other commenters.
- Banned commenters may petition to be reinstated. You may petition to be unbanned. If you feel you have been banned unfairly, please send us an email petitioning your ban and asking to be unbanned. You will be required to agree to post by the rules. We will review your petition and see about unbanning you. Few people petition bans, but most petitions are granted.
- Do not let the comments policy scare you off. Only a few comments are deleted, it is difficult to get banned from the blog, and you really have to go out of your way to be a jerk to achieve this honor. Don’t let it inhibit you if you feel like making comments.