There is the mistaken belief, promoted by dishonest magazines like Wired, that there is something cool or hip about these new corporations, the IT corporations. This goes along with a reverent portrayal of the coders in the software industry as some sort of ultra-hipster type workers. I got fooled by this for a long time until I did a lot of reading, especially of the horrible Wired Magazine, and I came to realize that there was nothing cool or hip about these folks at all, and in fact they were just capitalists like any other.
They hate the working class, low income and poor people…They are really just Republicans with groovy clothes, cool haircuts, tattoos, piercings and other neato hipster attire. In fact they are actually much worse than your average US capitalist because many American capitalists, especially the Old Money types like George Bush Sr., always believe in a sort of noblesse oblige towards the rest of society. They were not ostentatious, and it was considered rude to flaunt money or even to talk about it. I have met millionaires from this group who had complete respect for working class and even poor people and had no sense of snobbery or elitism at all.
When the New Money folks came in, all that went out the door. Gratuitous waste of and flaunting of money is in. Light your cigar with a burning 100 bill, the one you just sniffed a line of cocaine with. Bragging is cool. Showing off is cool. Contempt towards working class, poor and low income people is hip ever since Ronald Reagan decreed it was when he created the new and more monstrous Republican Party. This new party is not your father’s Republican Party.
As an example of the callousness of these new software capitalists, we can note that many of them are engineering or STEM types. STEM type males do not show their feelings much and some are almost on the autistic spectrum. Engineer types have always been conservative, and STEM males are overly male and typically highly lacking in empathy as excessively male phenotypes seem to be. Hence the correlation between STEM types, the software industry and Libertarianism, probably one of the most evil, cruel, callous and non-empathetic forms of socioeconomic systems ever designed by man.
The God of these phony hipsters is a man named Bill Gates. Let us examine him.
Bill Gates is probably one of the evil businessmen in the US today. Microsoft tore up the contract of every company they partnered with, and then they stole their stuff. Almost all of their products are made of stolen tech. They backstabbed and betrayed everyone they ever did business with. Most Microsoft partners have sued Microsoft at one point or another.
And the whole time Microsoft has existed, they were always an illegal monopoly. I believe they are probably still an illegal monopoly, but I would need to check on that. The government’s lawsuit against Microsoft was settled on terms ridiculously favorable to the company. Illegal monopolies are illegal in the USA.
Microsoft destroyed the computer industry by forcing everyone to use their crap products when we could have had a choice of using the best product available like with any other product.
The software industry operates on the monopoly model, and the software scum are the only capitalists who actually force you to use their products. There is no other product that I can think of where you are actually forced to use the product of one particular company, and you don’t have a choice of a number of competing products to choose from. That is an evil that I will hold against them until the day I die
The US software capitalists are some of the worst capitalists in the US. The Internet capitalists (the dotcommers) are not far behind.
What have the software capitalists given us?
1. Forced upgrade. You are actually forced to buy the newer model and get rid of the old one. Can you think of one other product for which this is true?
2. Forced product use. These are some of the only capitalists who actually force you to use their products because of the natural monopoly nature of the industry.
3. Refusal to cooperate with other products. Software products refuse to work with each other and often try to sabotage each other’s products when installed on the same computer. One application will try to sabotage another application, or an OS will try to sabotage an application. If you put competing applications on your system, they will often attack each other.
Imagine if Ford cars would only go on “Ford roads.” If you wanted to drive “Ford roads,” you had to buy a Ford. If you drove any other car on the road, the road would attack your tires and try to destroy them or the car would not be able to drive on the road at all without causing damage or a very unpleasant drive. This is what the world would look like if other capitalists were as wicked as the software capitalists.
4. The total destruction of the concept of customer service and help lines. Most other industries still have various help lines, and most brick and mortar businesses have excellent customer service. Software customer service is often nonexistent. When it exists at all, they often charge you per incident, and it’s crap anyway even when you buy it. When the customer service is not nonexistent or crap, then it’s often downright evil. For software customer service, you have a choice between nonexistent, crap and evil products. Some choice.
5. Destruction of human jobs. The software industry has tried to destroy as many human jobs as possible. The notion of automated service where you call a company and instead of talking to a human being, you talk to a stupid robot that can’t understand you was an actual creation of the software industry. Now this lousy “no human beings” model of “customer service” has been adopted by a number of other crappy corporations.
I personally have all sorts of tricks up my sleeve to use in order to talk to an actual human being when I deal with these automated systems. The only way to get any sort of service is to deal with a human because the robots are still too stupid. It is also very insulting to call an enterprise on the phone and be rudely forced to speak to a robot instead of a human being. It is as if they are saying that you are not good enough to speak to a human, instead you are so unworthy that you deserve only to speak with a machine.
Computer software companies are so evil that I want all computer software to go open source. That way you will not be forced to use anyone’s product, and everything will be easily fixed. In addition, open source in general will destroy the software industry profit model. They can still make money – I understand that Open Office and Firefox are profitable – but they will have to be forced to make money by being decent companies instead of the equivalent of corporate serial killers.
The software companies had their chance to be good businesspeople, and they blew it. Instead they turned into one of the most evil industries in recent memory.
Death to the Software industry!
With Open Source, we can destroy this evil industry once and for all!